Monday, March 6, 2017

Project list

I need to start compiling a project list for the boat.  I got something of a head start last week on it, but there's a bunch of minor stuff.


  • Batteries -- I gave in and decided to let the shop install new batteries.  I had planned to do this myself, either buying the batteries from Interstate myself or buying them through the marina (negligible cost difference).  I let MarineMax do it because the existing batteries are crap (old, wrong size, not AGM) and I decided the extra money would be worth not jumping into the engine room immediately.  Buying from the marina would have taken some of the DIY hassle away, but they may have wanted to install them (the owner is always looking for helpful labor service add-ons).
  • Canvas repair -- the center panel front isinglass and the trip piece it connect to have a broken zipper connection.  I picked these up at the shop Saturday and will drop them off sometime this week to get fixed.  It looks like a simple repair for the canvas shop.
  • Grill heating element -- the grill blows the circuit breaker, and from what I've read and had verified by the OEM, there was a design flaw in the element that causes moisture infiltration and shorting.  $75 and 10 minutes, or so I'm told.
  • New Fenders -- The fenders for the old boat are pretty small.  The new boat has fender holders for ~8-9" fenders and needs larger ones.  I just looked at slip photos and don't know if I will need them other than one side of the slip, but I should probably have them for any docking or rafting situations.
  • LED lighting replacement & Spotlight -- I want to replace all the lighting with LED bulbs.  Supposedly the bulbs exist for nearly all the lights.  Cuts battery consumption a lot, less heat in the cabin and probably superior light.  The spotlight needs a spotlight bulb (non-LED, sadly) but because that will be used so little it won't matter if its not LED.  This will probably be the first real DIY job besides the grill element.
  • Battery monitoring -- I'm likely to go with the Balmar Smartguage, but it has the significant disadvantage of being kind of large and I don't have a great place to mount it.  There's no room on the MCP or the dash.  I did find a plastic enclosure that could be mounted to the MCP side face, but it's not very cosmetically appealing, but burying it elsewhere doesn't make a lot of sense, either, although perhaps inside a cabinet would make sense.  Cable routing from the engine room also seems intimidating, too.
  • TV Replacement -- the existing cabin TV is an LCD analog set, which won't get digital TV signals.  It seems to be wired to AC, which make replacement simpler and cheaper.  But I couldn't see how to get it down to replace it, and it will probably require a new mount as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment