Saturday, April 29, 2017

Splashdown!

Splashdown!  The boat is finally at the marina!

I was with the crew from the brokerage yard when it went in, and we piloted it to the marina and got it tied up.  Some random observations:


  • It hauls ass!  I didn't think a 33', 5" boat that weighs 13,000 pounds could go so fast but it did 35-40 pretty effortlessly.  Smooth and quiet.
  • Shifting was remarkably smooth.  I have little experience in a stern drive, but this had none of the clunky shifting I associated with a stern drive previously.
  • It feels really big and seems high on the water.
  • Learning to slip it will be kind of challenging.  Close-in maneuvering and figuring out how to use the twin engine setup will take some practice.
  • There's less storage for "stuff" than I would have expected, stuff like boat canvas, spare lines, life vests, etc etc.  I think some of this is just lack of time to explore and plan organization.
  • As much as I've read the manual, etc, sitting in it makes me feel like I have no idea how it works.  Always an interesting contrast between reading about something and actually doing it.

The brokerage/shop removed the old boat vinyl name and graphics from the stern.  This was unexpected but kind of nice, as it saves me some manual labor.  They also did the summerization package, which flushed and filled the water system so I didn't have to wrangle with the marina on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment