Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Almost at the bitter end

It's hard to believe the summer season is nearly over.  It seems like just yesterday we were planning for the 4th of July.  It's been a really great summer in so many ways, I'm not sure I can remember all the highlights.


  • Replaced the anchor chain-and-rode combo with all chain.  Has worked perfectly, easy up and easy down.
  • Made it out 3 times with Marc Luers this summer, including grilling hamburgers on the boat twice.
  • Had evening cruises with the VanFullerBents, including my second public dockage ever and first ever in Wayzata to eat at Baja Haus.
  • Lots of weekends sleeping on the boat
  • The water has been swimming temperature all summer, very warm the last month.  I'm kind of convinced that the temp gauge is off by a few degrees, but hey it's been just fine.
  • Everything but the starboard engine and the vacuum toilet has worked flawlessly all summer

The starboard engine problem appears to have a solid solution.  I finally got another mechanic to look at it.  I called and complained to the marina and they forwarded me to another shop, "Indoor Boat Storage" and they quickly identified the problem as a bad fuel sender creating excessive fuel pressure.  This should solve the newer stalling problem and the long-term fuel consumption problem.  In fact, I kind of expect it to be finished today or tomorrow.

The toilet vacuum pump was just the duckbill valves.  The "old" ones were crusty from urea crystals -- probably not flushing enough, and most people replace them yearly.  It was real simple to replace them -- I did it in about an hour without a ton of effort.  I do worry that the head-to-tank hose is on its way out and it will be a real bitch to replace, but I'm also thinking I won't worry about it until the system totally refuses to create vacuum or leaks into the bilge.

I'm going to store the boat with Indoor Boat Storage this year, too.  I will get my outdrives serviced and inspected and maybe a couple of other items done as well.  I suspect Aaron won't be happy about this and I hope it doesn't alter our ability to keep the slip.  I doubt it should, since Aaron realizes that keeping us in the marina without access to reliable service is a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment