Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Finally a fuel consumption solution

So we FINALLY gained some explanation for the fuel consumption problem on the starboard engine.

As it turns out, it's a kind-of well understood problem with the Cool Fuel III module (which apparently cools the fuel?).  It has a problem with peeling paint on the inside of the module, which clogs the fuel system and potentially fouls injectors.

My fix involved new injectors (at Mercury's expense), some new fuel hoses to fix cracked fittings and a new fuel system module.  The down side is that the port engine is also vulnerable to this and needs the fuel system module replaced and the injectors (Mercury's expense) to be safe.

I have no idea how deep I am into labor and extra parts for all of this, but the outcome will be engines in very good shape that I shouldn't have to worry about.  I can also run confidently at planing speeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment