Friday, March 15, 2019

So expensive

While it was great to finally connect with a mechanic who could fix my fuel consumption problem and address other issues to put us on a glide path to a manageable mechanical status, I'm not realizing how expensive it all is.

I got new fuel modules, fuel lines and fuel injectors out of my engine fuel consumption problem fix, and I'm kind of seeing the $2200 in cost as a bargain compared to some of the cost with a total engine failure or other major mechanical problem.

Where it's getting really expensive was choosing to store the boat off site to have other mechanical issues addressed.  I'm looking at something like $4500 in cost for storage and basic mechanical support (oil and lube changes, some cleaning, etc).  This is normally maybe $3300 at the marina for the same services.

And none of this includes the drive examination or other minor stuff I ticked off to Indoor Boat Storage.  I'm looking forward to being back to Greenwood next year, even though it is probably lesser service.

It all makes me wish I had been more aggressive in my bid for the boat -- even without better more detailed mechanical survey information, I should have looked at the $5,000 list of misc. mechanical items and turned around and asked for another $10k discount to cover what was found and what wasn't found.  I probably wouldn't have gotten it, but might have gotten half of it.

Of course the challenge was what if the guy said no?  Do I just go ahead as I already did or do I walk away and then spend forever finding another boat as nicely equipped and in as relatively good of a condition?

It's kind of the existential problem with buying a boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment